Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

I gave my chicken to a hungry man

I made a quick run to the store today with my two littlest princesses in tow. Smith's to be exact. Just a quick trip to get some soda and beef stew my hubby requested for dinner. I'm not the biggest fan of canned beef stew-it tastes like CAN! So I decided to check the deli and see if anything struck my fancy. I could have my own special treat while the rest of the family ate stewed can, or canned stew as some might call it. I spotted a little baggie of  baked barbecue chicken pieces. YUM! And, bonus-it was marked down to around a dollar. (end of the day mark down) If ever I'm OK with getting myself a little treat, it's when it's marked down. YAY! Less self imposed guilt! Me and my princesses went through the checkout line and headed out the door. They were doing such a good job of steering that shopping cart/truck! As we made our way out I heard some loud singing, I thought, wow the radio is really loud by the doors! Then I realized that it was not the radio. It was in fact a MAN sitting on the sidewalk singing his heart out and strumming away on his guitar. And just like in the movies, his guitar case was laid out by him. A sign inside it read "Just plain hungry". Poor guy! How could I walk by with my dollar bill tucked in my wallet and not just dinner for my family, but a little extra something for me? I couldn't. I dropped my dollar in his case and turned away. That's when "Just plain hungry" registered in my mind. I didn't NEED that chicken. It was hot and ready to eat, and the guy was "Just plain hungry"! I turned again and gave him my chicken. He broke off from his song and thanked me and declared my princesses to be beautiful. Then went on singing. I went along to my car with a smile on my face and in my heart.
I know what you're thinking. And no, I'm not naive. I know that usually these people are down and out because of choices they've made. Maybe even because of drugs, maybe alcoholism, maybe escaped from jail---AAAHH! OK, maybe not that so much, but I know, I know..... HOWEVER, If I were ever down and out and that desperate, I sure hope that someone would have the heart to show me a little kindness. Not just for a little cash, or a little food. But to be reminded that there is still goodness in the world.
Let's say that man was down and out because he was fired from his job. Fired for missing too many days of work. Maybe he missed those days because he was drinking, or maybe he was high, or maybe.........I'm pretty sure that kindness will do him a lot more good than shunning him would. When I make bad choices, I'm very much aware of what I did wrong. Whether it shows or not. I'd guess it's the same for most people. So, I wonder when someone is in that position, would they be more likely to clean up and strive to be better if they were treated well, or not so well? Would chicken man want to be better if all passersby looked at him with disdain? Or would he just feel stuck in that bad place? Would he want to do better and be better if even one person gave to him, and showed him a smile? I'm willing to take that chance. And besides, it made me feel good.


From Matthew 25:

  "34 Then shall the King say unto them.........
  35 For I was an hungered and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
  36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
  37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
  38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
  39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
  40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me."

3 comments:

nicole lindsay said...

That's fabulous Heather! I remember a few times while growing up, my mom doing the exact same thing. We need more people like you!

The Marshall Family said...

Love it!!! I agree with you on this one.

Roxanne said...

you have always had one of the kindest hearts I've known.... you are amazing and I am proud to call you daughter and friend! love ya!